[alfa] Re: Spider Noise

At 03:34 PM 11/12/04 +0000, you wrote:
Can you guys help me identify an engine noise in my Weberized '78 Spider?

Sounds like a valve tapping sound that increases with engine speed, but
occasionally misses a beat.
Tap-tap-tap-(quiet)-tap-tap-(quiet)-(quiet)-tap-tap-tap-tap.....   When
cold, the tapping has more (quiet) beats than taps and as it warms, the
tapping is very regular with fewer (quiet) beats.  Most noticeable while
idling and fairly loud.
Exhaust leak at head? Vacuum leak on intake side? Piston slap was suggested - can anyone provide details on describing that sound? I thought there was also a "ringing" sound associated with piston slap.

//KCT, Powell TN