[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #414

Just for the record, the 1969 cars have floor mount pedals and a hydraulic clutch. You have to drill the longitudinal member to let the '69 pedal box pass through to the outside where the clutch cylinder is mounted. My 1968 Giulia Sprint GTV has the place where the hole would be already stamped into the longitudinal member, which will make it easy to drill (I have two sets of 1969 pedals). Don't know if they're all embossed like that already, or just mine because it's a late one. The alternative is to buy the adapters and whatnot from Centerline. Since I have the pedal boxes already from parts cars, that's the route I'm going.

Karl

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:18:57 -0500
From: Gilbert Gagne <gil5941@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [alfa] best 2 liter engine to hop up?

Your 66 GTV has clutch & brake pedals thru the floor and direct linkage
to the clutch instead of hydraulic master cylinder with slave. As I
remember, 2L engines won't mate with the 1600 bellhousing and clutch
mechanism and you will have to also use the 2L bellhousing and clutch.
This means jury rigging a clutch master cylinder to the thru-floor
clutch pedal. Maybe my recollection is out of date and this may not be a
real problem. I once married a 2L engine from a 74 Spider to a 1300 67
GT Jr. and had to install a clutch MC on a bracket under the floor so it
is doable. I would be interested to hear about other similar experiences.
Gil Gagne
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider

Carl Liebold wrote:

I'm thinking of hopping up a 2 liter engine for my 66 GTV. There are
differences between the 2 liter engines... is there a common
preference among racers as to which version/years work better as a
starting point? I know the starters and gear rings changed, did
anything else change that makes a difference?
If it matters, I'll be tossing the spica and putting 45 webers and
headers on and running around 10:1 compression. It will be a street car.
Carl --