[alfa] Re: Re: Alfa 6 - carbs

Yep, those are six single-throat carbs alright and it does say Alfa Sei
(Alfa Six) on the drawings.  I've never seen one of these puppies, but
I bet the sound of those six throats opening all at once is to die for
(the loss of the wonderful induction sound of carburettors is one of
the trade-off we make for the undoubted advantages of EFI.).
Unfortunately, from what I've read the Alfa V-6 with those Dellorto
carbs was a real dog. In fact, the British magazine "Car" had tested
the Alfa Six saloon and been bitterly disappointed, putting the car
last in a three-model shootout mostly because of the motor. When they
tested the GTV-6 a couple of years later, they commented that the  Bosh
L-Jetronic had so transformed "that engine" that it was difficult to
believe that other than the fuel delivery system, it was the same
motor. The general consensus was that the Alfa Six saloon was "rough
and unresponsive." On the other hand, I have a road test of the South
African three-liter homologation special, that had the Bosch system
replaced with - you guessed it - six Dellortos for 171 BHP@ 5800 RPM.
This is not as good as the L-Jetronic based 3.0 liter Milano Verde
which was good for 185 BHP even thought the Dellorto-equipped Alfa Six
had the same horsepower (160) as the later EFI GTV-6.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'