[alfa] Re: bleeding clutch slave GTV6

At 6:00 PM -0500 11/8/04, Darren Leung wrote:
Now that I look at the unit, I realize that the bleed nipple is simply not there. It looks like there's a little hole (that I thought might have been an allen-head screw or something), which probably corresponds to the interior of the erstwhile bleeding screw.

So the problem remains: how do I bleed the darned thing? I remember getting less and less effective travel over time from the clutch pedal, so now I suspect it was possibly related to a tiny build-up of air from the original pinhole in the line. Right now, things are back at that point, so I would love to be able to bleed it properly.

What's the best way to extract this thing?
I imagine that the bleeder is probably as good a candidate as any for a thread extractor (e.g. E-Z-Out). When I let a friend break the bleeder off of my clutch slave, I tried to go that route, but for some reason I let the same bonehead try to extract the broken bleeder, and he broke the thread extractor off in the bleeder! (He felt bad and bought me a new slave cylinder, so I didn't have to get creative.) If a thread extractor doesn't do it, I bet you could take the cylinder off the car and drill it out, but then you'd probably want to take it apart to make sure there aren't any metal chips in it, at which point it'd probably be wise to rebuild it, especially if the car hasn't been on the road for a while.

Good luck,
Joe