[alfa] 1750 oil leak

Dick, unless there is oil running down the back of the engine (bad cam cover gasket / half moon seals) and it just appears to be coming from the inside of the bell housing, there are most likely three places the leak could be coming from. I'm guessing the transmission has the shift rods open in the bell housing or your 71's, (they are extremely difficult to get to stop leaking) the transmission oil seal, and the rear crank seal. I have to guess it is the later. I abhor any oil seals with neoprene (?) on the outside. Metal to metal oil seals worked great for years. I'm guessing during installation, the seals outer covering got scuffed during installation, and it is now "letting go". No doubt the center seal is fine, but it's just the outside which is the problem.

I've posted "my method" for installing the rear seal without damaging the outer seal far too many times so email me and will tell you how to install should it become necessary.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA