[alfa] 1750 Oil Leak

I went to put my spider away for the winter and noticed an 8" diameter puddle of engine oil dripping on the cardboard that I place under the car. This engine has been remarkably leak free, but the storage place requires the cardboard. The leak is coming from the bottom of the bell housing at the inspection plate. I took the car back home to see what's going on, and it must be coming from the rear main seal or something nearby, as everything is dry above the bell housing. I removed the inspection cover and expected to see the seal out or place but everything looks in place. I can't get a real good look with the flywheel in the way, but with the sudden loss of that much oil, I expected to see something obvious. The seal was replaced this spring when I did the clutch job, and I 'm not looking forward to a repeat of that job. I also don't want to replace the seal and find that it's something else. Any ideas?

Dick Stachowiak
71 Spider
71 GTV