[alfa] fuel pump electrical help

Dear Dan,

I just traced the fuel pump electrical lines on my '88 Spider Veloce. Your car may be similar. I hope this description helps. Sorry for the length, but the electrical line is long also!

Starting behind the passenger seat, the main fuel pump line comes into the car interior through the floor pan, behind the computers. The line runs next to the computer, under the carpet, along the floor pan behind the seats, over the driveshaft tunnel, and then to the driver side. In the corner below the trunk and fuel door release handles, the in-tank fuel pump line joins the harness, but the two lines are still separate. Together, the lines run in the harness alongside the driver side floor channel, and then turn up at the firewall. There is a big connector up there, deep in the front left corner. At this connector, the two lines are crimped together into a male pin inside the connector. Both lines are pink with a white stripe. (My fuel pump woes were at this connector - I had an intermittent open circuit, which prevented the pumps from getting voltage at inconvenient times. I squeezed down the female socket and spread the male pin, and things are now perfect for me.) Anyway, from the other side of the connector is a line (same color) that runs up and then forward through the firewall. Once inside the engine compartment, the line runs in a harness across the firewall, past the hood release mechanism, and then comes out next to the windshield washer bottle. At this point, there is a spade connector, and the color of the line changes to white with red stripe. I suspect there used to be some kind of safety device that has been taken out. The new white/red line runs back into a harness that passes back through the firewall on the passenger side. Inside the interior again, the harness turns down to the floor, and runs along the passenger side floor channel. The white/red line comes out of the harness and goes to ... THE FUEL PUMP RELAY! The fuel pump relay is the taller of the two relays back there; the main relay is cube-shaped. On my car, the white/red line is crimped to two orange/black lines at the relay socket.

In summary, current for the main pump runs from the relay, and makes about a 15-18 foot trip around the car before coming back within 6 inches of where the line passes through the floor pan! Current for the in-tank pump makes just as long a trip, but passes through the back wall on the driver side before going to the fuel sender/pump assembly. The lines are not particularly heavy, and I suspect the voltage drop along the line is not negligible. If the voltage drop is significant, the motor will run slow, and the time period of heavy startup current draw will increase.

In the future, I may bypass the long line, and splice a jumper between the white/red line (at the pump relay) and main pump line (in the area behind the computers). I have read that some cars have had this modification done at dealers - anybody else seen this?

My recommendation is to find the connector in the vicinity of the windshield washer bottle. Open up that connector and the connector on the driver side firewall (disconnects the fuel pumps). Now check for shorts to chassis: a) between driver side connector and spade connector, and b) between spade connector and fuel pump relay.

Best wishes,

John Hung
Auburn, AL
'88 Spider Veloce