[alfa] Re: fuel pump electrical help

  Latest scoop on the sometimes-dead Quad... I traced the fuel pump wires
all around the car and they're OK.  Another "however" here: the other two
wires (ORG/BLK & BLK/ORG) off the combi relay pin that supplies power to the
pumps (through the wht/red wire), I traced to the O2 sensor and the aux air
device, respectively.  So, I disconnected both of those, the inline
connector to the fuel pumps (passenger side engine bay, pnk/wht to wht/red),
and ran a temporary line from the FP pin-out on the combi relay to the FP
connector in the engine bay.  I then re-installed the 10-Amp in-line fuse
and hit the ignition.  The fuse did not blow, so I must assume the fault
lies in the lines to either the O2 sensor, the aux air device, or the
wht/red wire to the FP circuit.
  The car starts and runs now, without blowing the fuse.  Hooray!!  I drove
it around a bit and noted a remarkable drop in power from before the engine
rebuild episode.  Throttle response is slow, too.  Along with that is a
noteable increase in the exhaust system temperature (the engine temp is
normal, though).    I ohmed out the O2 sensor wiring and found this - on the
sensor end of the engine bay connector: across the two wire connector about
1 M-ohm; from each to ground about 2 M-ohm; from the single black wire to
ground about 1 K-ohm. - - on the other side: across the two wire connector I
got 0 ohms; from each to ground I got about 98 K-ohm, same with the single
black wire.
  Here's my question: the exaust overheating and loss of power, I'm
guessing, is due to the O2 sensor either getting shorted out and/or it needs
replacement.  Sound about right?  Or, could the power/heat problems be
caused by the aux air device?  I'm at a bit of a loss on this one.
  I've gotten tons of information from here, both in response to my
questions and from just reading the archives.  I want to thank all of you
who post on here for all the info and help.  It's helped make this migraine
a mere headache.

Dan Lewis
Bellevue, NE
'88 Spider Quad