Re: [alfa] working with aluminum

Hi Tim

Everyone strips threads at some point but there are a few things I try and do to lower the incidence. It is not always that you are over tightening things but quite often the condition of the threads. Make sure that the threads are completely clean. Wash everything down in engine cleaner first, including all the fixings. Don't leave them sitting in a box on the garage floor to collect dirt or have them sitting around dry and collecting rust. Have a set of metric taps and dies around to clean up threads. If necessary, run a die over the bolts and studs and assemble everything with a very light coat of oil. If you are working with a 'blind' hole, make sure there is nothing down the bottom of said hole that will impede the stud or bolt. Have a good supply of compressed air to blow out grit or fluids. Buy a good quality click type torque wrench and forget about the beam type. They are often woefully inaccurate at the extreme ends of the scale where you want them to be telling you the truth. I have two click type wrenches and the one I use most goes to 24 foot pounds. Nothing has ever stripped while I have used it but I have stripped threads simply by swinging too hard on a 10mm ring spanner. If you are ever in doubt about the state of a stud or bolt, replace it. Your local machine shop will run up studs for you at little cost and it is great insurance. You will never get them out with the engine reassembled. Replace nuts, washers and lock washers as a matter of course. Hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers

Michael Findlay
Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV
Fiat Marea 2.0 Weekend