Re: [alfa] working with aluminum

My philosophy is 15 ft-lbs MAXIMUM for any bolts, including spark plugs, going into aluminum. To get a good idea of 15 ft-lbs, grasp your 3/8" drive ratchet, not by the handle, but by putting its head where the socket plugs in, in your fist and turn by hand. Unless you are a 300 lb weight-lifter you will not put more than 15 ft-lbs on the bolt.
Gil
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider

Timothy Spruill wrote:

Alfisti,

I have been doing almost all my own work on Giuliana,
my Milano, for about a year now. I have found lots of
bolt/ screw holes stripped in the block and other
places on the car. It seems like no matter what I am
working on, someone else has gotten there first and
screwed it up. At first I blamed the previous owners
from the past 17 years. Then I started to think that
maybe I had a bad torque wrench and that was the
problem. Now I am beginning to think that I am the
cause of all my woes. Is it possible that there are
so many bad 'Merican mechanics out there that they
could do this to an entire car, or am I a little to
eager and ham fisted. What is the secret to working
in this soft beautiful metal?

Learning about helicoils,
Tim Spruill
Baton Rouge, LA