RE: [alfa] hydraulic handbrakes

White Anthony <anthony.white@domain.elided> wrote:

>> It seems to be common practice for race-preped cars to
have a
>> hydraulic handbrake fitted.
>
>Unless you're talking rally-prepped cars...?

True, it's common for rally cars, including dual use
race/tarmac rally cars. Some people who have a race car that
gets driven to and from the track, also use a hydraulic
handbrake.

The problem might be difficult getting approval for the
modification as unlike a mechanical handbrake, it's not a
truly independant emergency brake system - it depends on the
same hydraulic system used by the main service brakes.

I've considered this mod myself, but have wondered if a
completely independant system using it's own fluid reservoir
and small rear mounted motorcycle calipers might solve the
problem. I remember reading that the Fiat Uno Turbo rally
cars used seperate calipers for the hydraulic handbrake.

In NZ a hydraulic handbrake would most likely need some type
of certification from a approved certifier of the Low Volume
Vehicle Technical Association Inc (LVVTA). Their web site is
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

I think the original question was from someone in Australia,
so they might have ask someone in CAMS how it works over
there.

Best Regards
Lex Jenner
2 x Alfasuds