[alfa] Racing With Alfetta Brakes

In a message dated 10/17/2004 3:33:49 PM Pacific Daylight  Time, Richard
Welty writes:

On Sat,  16 Oct 2004 16:09:31 -0400 Brian Shorey <bshorey@domain.elided>  wrote:
> I think Jims kits use the vented SZ rear rotors and then  require you to
> rebuild the stock calipers using spacers.  The  E-brake should work fine.

not something you can use in an IT car, then,  the rotors and calipers have
to stay stock.

in the alfetta, one  reason i'm less concerned about the rears is that
the exhaust doesn't go  near them (hint: it's a race car in a class with
an unrestricted exhaust.)  additionally, i have an inline proportioning
valve, and push most of the  braking effort to the front in dry weather.
as such, i feel that it's the  fronts i need to worry about, given that
they're rather undersized for the  vehicle.

A few years ago, Montreal brakes were legal on 1974  GTVs competing in SCCA's
Improved Touring class. Don't know about  the 2004 or 2005 rules however, or
whether or not they would even fit  an Alfetta. Then there would be the
availability question and not to mention  cost.

Just curious, but aren't carbon kevlar brake pads with proper ducting
adequate? A quick visit to Porterfield's website _http://www.porterfield-brakes.com_
(http://www.porterfield-brakes.com)  gave  me this quote:

"The Porterfield R-4 Carbon Kevlar pads have a unique, integrally molded
ceramic heat shield designed specifically to minimize heat transfer in high
temperature applications keeping caliper temperature at proper levels."

Sounds like a possible relatively inexpensive solution to me ... that and a
good high temperature brake fluid just might do the trick.

If all else fails, I remember years ago, reading of a then-famous driver at
Sebring being told to save his brakes during the race. He did, and his lap
times  improved by several seconds per lap; so maybe a combination of fixes would
get  the desired effect.

Good luck, happy racing and as John Hertzman is fond of imploring,  "Enjoy
yours."

John Thompson
(currently bench racing -- let's keep this thread going!)
 Sylmar, CA
74 GTV
71 GTA