[alfa] Hydraulic handbrakes and transaxle rear brakes

I know one isn't supposed to combine subjects...though is it possible hydraulic emergency brakes were actually developed for rally cars?

I'm somewhat surprised Richard said in essence he didn't have any problems regarding heat with the inboard rear brakes on his Alfetta or Milano race cars. I can certainly see having problems with the unvented front discs on the Alfetta, but have always believed the heat generated by the rear brakes was a major braking stumbling block for those racing these cars.

I wish I'd made notes, but many years ago while at an AROSC time trial at Willow Springs (long track) a fellow, who is an engineer, had installed "sensors" (not the word I'm looking for, but) on all four calipers of his GTV6 so he could get instant temp readings on all four. I do remember that by far the hottest caliper was the right rear since it is right next to the exhaust. He'd installed the heat wrap tape and lowered the temp dramatically. Might be wrong but believe both rear calipers were hotter than the fronts.

While I'm not trying to say Richard's or anyone else's engineering capabilities / theories are in question, but Jim Steck has developed a vented rear brake system for the transaxle cars. Don't believe he would have done so if he didn't feel the need.

Trying to tie the beginning and end together, I don't believe the emergency brake is functional any longer on Jim's modified rear brakes since he also uses aftermarket calipers - though might well be wrong - or - might a hydraulic emergency brake work well with this type application? And as a matter of convenience and reliability, I for one would be more than happy to give up having to adjust each individual rear brake pad.

As I mention frequently, I'm not a racer guy, but feel if "scientific" tests Did prove the stock transaxle inboard braking system contributed to brake fluid boiling (though fresh fluid and of high quality) virtually any racing group / tech inspector Should accept modifications which in turn scientifically prove the changes are a reasonable safety modification. For example, it's obvious (well designed) roll cages contribute significantly to (especially older) car's chassis strength - in addition to helping prevent injuries when the shiny side ends up on the bottom.
Biba
Irwindale, CA USA --