[alfa] Multimeters

Not sure how they did it since I just ordered yesterday from theToolWarehouse.com (in NJ) but Big Brown just delivered my new ES 585K multimeter. Also had them throw in a set of Sunex angled metric (of course) wrenches. Looking forward to using them in those very tight places.

Just did a simple test run on the multimeter and now fully understand why Christopher Boles was anxious to get his mulitmeter back. It's now only abut an hour old in my hot little hands and would already miss it if it came up missing.

Tested the "other" MarelliPlex coil's resistance as a "get your feet wet" exercise. - to + terminals are to be between .69 and .75 ohms. This one checked out to be .67. Believe that is close enough. Checked out the (either of the two) + / - terminals with the center coil to distributer "socket". Supposed to be between 7100 and 8700 ohms. It's 7720 ohms. I'll take it.

Gwynne Spencer commented: "There is at least one area of measurement where the old fashioned analog meter is superior. If there is an intermittent or "wavering" value (changing in a time frame slow enough for the meter to respond), you can observe the needle swinging back and forth. Sometimes this information is very useful."

This little guy (actually sort of bulky little guy) has an analog bar graph which really seems to work. True, it doesn't give a specific range from / to, but does indicate if there are variations in the "circuit".

I'm very anxious to try out the RPM function since I probably don't rev enough when using my timing light to check how close to the maximum timing mark the ignition timing goes. Yes, I'm sure there are timing lights with that function built in - but not on mine.

It also has a temperature probe / readout. Not a racer guy but wonder if it works on tires - along with other sundry mechanical parts (such as brake components). If so, sure would be a cheap all-in-one meter for a vintage racer.

Christopher commented his was difficult to read in low light. This digital readout is not lit but numbers are very large and short of being in total darkness, should be able to read.

Actually no, I don't own the company, but as soon as that next lottery check arrives, I will.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA --