[alfa] Multimeters

That Jeffrey Kern has a few comments and question: "Biba mentioned Electronic Specialties. I found the Electronic Specialties 585K on Froogle for only $73.00. In contrast the best price for a Fluke 179 (w/kit) was $229.00.

"Biba, does the ES 585K do capacitance measurements?"

******

I'm guessing your Froogling came up with theToolWarehouse.com for the $73 price. I am a pretty confirmed Googler [since they put many of my site's pages on the first or second page out of kazillions (+ or - 3)], but will admit Froogle did come up with the magic number. The TTW catalog is $79.25 and their website undercuts it to a shade under $73. Even the "high" number was lower than the five or six other sites I visited. Do me a favor, if the the site Froogle came up with is not TTW and unless you have a history with this company, go to TTW and buy. In the little special instructions box tell them Biba sent you. Quite sure it will mean diddle since I feel TTW is about 90% on automatic (computer controlled). I had trouble calling them, but both items I've purchased from them came the next day. If I'm correct, screw people / the personal touch, I'll take the computer every time with this kind of service. Oh yeah, when you get one of their catalogs included is a free shipping coupon. I was charged the minimum shipping charge, though as mentioned, it came the next day. Try keying in "#0904 Free Shipping Coupon" in the special instructions box and see if you get free (though probably not next day) shipping. I failed to do this.

Capacitance???...(thumbing through ES instruction manual) ummm, got yer volts, yer resistance, checks diodes - close enough? Okay, don't know what a capacitor / capacitance is nor how they work. This puppy is really geared for automotive use so if there aren't too many capacitors in cars, guess not.

Though you didn't ask, ya gots several probe options - pointed probes, alligators, RPM thing, and itty bitty heat probe. Comes with battery installed and there is a low battery display. (She walks, she talks, she crawls on her...).

Trust me, I have no idea how good this multimeter is since I have nothing to compare it with. Oh sure, made in China. Must admit, being old, I can easily remember when "made in Japan" was a joke. Do believe most (not all) items coming from China today are Considerably better constructed and with better materials than only a few short years ago. You will be amused, though, at the various spellings of "Range "in the instruction manual.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA --