Re: [alfa] 164 heater core replacement

--- Bob2100@domain.elided wrote:

> doug sez:
> if the later ('94-'95) 164's are like the '93 &
> earlier iterations, bob is correct. i wanna add one
> tidbit, tho.it *is* possible to do this yob w/o
> removing or discharging the a/c.
>
> Actually, Doug, that IS the difference between the
> '94-95 cars and the earlier ones. It is not possible
> to jiggle the a/c around enough on the later cars.
> You are forced to discharge the system.
=================
well, not having done a later car, i cannot comment,
but i *do* know that some folk would say the same
about the earlier cars!  :>)

> I also heartily endorse replacing the hoses and the
> fan, even though the fan costs far more than the
> replacemnt core and the brand new fan arrived DOA
> from my freindly Alfa parts source, a fact which I
> did not discover until it was securely installed. As
> a result, I am now VERY experienced in the
> Remove/Replace methods. It's a job you don't want to
> do more than once if you can help it.
========================
agreed - either way, this yob *SUCKS*.

> To Jason, who asked about the failure mode, mine
> also failed in the seams. It happened progressively
> over the course of a few weeks. After replacing the
> thermostat, I couldn't keep the coolant level up and
> could detect no external leaks. I did, however, get
> a very faint whiff of antifreeze every night after
> parking in the garage. I just couldn't tell where it
> was coming from. Then one night coming home from
> work - WHOOF - a big cloud of acrid white smoke from
> antifreeze hitting the exhaust headers. After that,
> it didn't take long to diagnose.
when mine failed, i got steam clouds of antifreeze
into the cabin thru the hvac vents - yuck!

doug s.
http://mail.yahoo.com