Re: [alfa] 164 heater core replacement

doug sez:
if the later ('94-'95) 164's are like the '93 & earlier iterations, bob is correct. i wanna add one tidbit, tho.it *is* possible to do this yob w/o removing or discharging the a/c.

Actually, Doug, that IS the difference between the '94-95 cars and the earlier ones. It is not possible to jiggle the a/c around enough on the later cars. You are forced to discharge the system.

I also heartily endorse replacing the hoses and the fan, even though the fan costs far more than the replacemnt core and the brand new fan arrived DOA from my freindly Alfa parts source, a fact which I did not discover until it was securely installed. As a result, I am now VERY experienced in the Remove/Replace methods. It's a job you don't want to do more than once if you can help it.

To Jason, who asked about the failure mode, mine also failed in the seams. It happened progressively over the course of a few weeks. After replacing the thermostat, I couldn't keep the coolant level up and could detect no external leaks. I did, however, get a very faint whiff of antifreeze every night after parking in the garage. I just couldn't tell where it was coming from. Then one night coming home from work - WHOOF - a big cloud of acrid white smoke from antifreeze hitting the exhaust headers. After that, it didn't take long to diagnose.

Regards,
Bob A.