Re: [alfa] The other end of the clutch pedal

Hi Amanda:

What you need is called a "clutch pedal pivot pin", and I've recently found
the replacements available from various Alfa vendors to be of terribly poor
quality, although they're packed in genuine Alfa parts bags.  I had two
break, one almost immediately, earlier this year on my '87 Spider.  So,
that's not the way I'd recommend you go.  Don't even think of having your
broken part re-welded.

There's a guy in Alabama that makes a reinforced part for around the same
cost, and they're guaranteed not to ever break.  The difference is in the
diameter of the end of the shaft (a new shaft is machined from higher
quality steel, without the reduced diameter where the arm is welded), and
also the quality of the weld.  If you only want to do this job once,
contact John Ortakales (a fellow "Digester", and '71 Spider owner) at:

<ortak@domain.elided>

Installation shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, and you'll have to
bleed both the brake and clutch hydraulics afterwards.  No special tools
required.

No financial interest, blah, blah . . .  just a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 02:38 PM 9/27/2004, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:18:49 -0400
>From: "Amanda Hughes" <tumorgirl16@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] The other end of the clutch pedal
>
>Dear Alfa folks,
>    Greetings! Back on the List after computer problems. I had to put a new
>slave cylinder on an "86 Spider Veloce and it was great for about a month.
>Then i had to double clutch it. I tried to drive it yesterday and clutch
>would not engage at all!
>Looked at everything and the other end of the clutch pedal, up under the
>hood, where the plunger goes into the master cylinder, wasn't throwing the
>plunger at all. Upon closer inspection, the second part of the "arm" that
>goes onto some type of gear box looking thing had busted a weld. The "arm"
>has a circular indentation, and the gear box thing has a circular piece
>sticking out. they appear to have been welded togather.
>I guess after that long winded, half baked explaination my question is can I
>have the things welded back togather, or do i need to buy  new parts?
>
>       Amanda

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of clutch pivot3 (Small).jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of clutch pivot5 (Small).jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of clutchpivot6 (Small).jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]