[alfa] The other end of the clutch pedal

Amanda wrote:
....Looked at everything and the other end of the clutch pedal, up under the
hood, where the plunger goes into the master cylinder, wasn't throwing the
plunger at all. Upon closer inspection, the second part of the "arm" that
goes onto some type of gear box looking thing had busted a weld. The "arm"
has a circular indentation, and the gear box thing has a circular piece
sticking out. they appear to have been welded togather.

I had the same experience (close enough) with our '86 Graduate.  Check out

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=4305

for details, but the short and long of it is: degraded flex hose -> high
back-pressure to clutch M.C. -> strong leg twists clutch shaft off clutch
actuator arm.  Check your flex hose.  A bad one (replacement cost $18 or
so) cost me an extra $35+ clutch shaft and a week or two of calendar time.
 Buy a new shaft, either reinforced or not.  A good flex hose and Slave
Cylinder shouldn't break the shaft, but you might want the shaft to break
before the clutch actuator yoke in the bell housing goes or the M.C. pops
if something inside binds up.  But that will probably _never_ happen to
_you_....

Michael