[alfa] Ignition missing after hot.

Tom, the usual suggestions regarding fuel: Is the firstendary (okay what do you call the one before secondary?) fuel pump in the gas tank work? You Have replaced both the tank and engine fuel filters haven't you? While I've only done this on my own Webers, why not get one of those good quality glass and chrome housed inline filters and place it in the line from the underhood filter to the Spica pump? Cinch it down pretty good since you're (hopefully) running some fairly serious psi's. Speaking of which, why not add a fuel pressure gauge on the outlet from the underhood filter, then an outlet, then rubber hose, then filter, then more rubber hose. Okay, not exactly original, but good information might well be gained by these additions.

Maybe I'm not paying attention but swear I hear anything from 40 psi to 65 psi for the correct pressure for the fuel pump to Spica. Anyone know which end it should really be?

I've been advised this on my own cutting out Alfetta - check the fuel filler cap immediately after it cuts out and you're (hopefully) on the side of the road. If a "whoosh" emits forth, then check the little one way valve gizmo (blow / suck - should only work one way - thus the name).

Your car appears to be running way too hot. How often do you remove completely and replace coolant? If awhile, pull radiator and have rodded out.

You're sure you're not getting gas in the oil? If even a tiny smell of gas and the "oil" grows upward on the dipstick, remove (good luck) Spica unit and send to Wes Ingram (where it can sit alongside client's first of the breed, '69 unit). Can't imagine even the "newest" of Spica units (I personally never call them pumps, though correct, since there is too much confusion between pump Too the Spica pump or the Spica unit which actually squirts gas up those neat round-about tubes into the injectors (after which the fuel is now on its own), unless rebuilt, is in the greatest of shape. Something to consider.

If you have a MarelliPlex and it turns out to be the actual problem, please contact me with intricate details of the fix.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

******
Tom Bremser wrote:

I have had a nagging problem with my '81 Spider. Whenever I drive over approx 40 minutes, shorter time
on very hot days, the engine starts missing, if I
continue to drive eventually the car is undriveable. If I let the car sit for awhile, 30 min or so, I can
start back up and drive another 15-20 minutes before
going through the same scenario. I also noticed that
the temp gauge noses up to around 212...