[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #316

Joe,

The ground effects tunnels underneath a F1 car need maximum width to provide
the most downforce. Designers will revise components to get the most room
between the inside of the rear wheels and anything in the middle of the car
so the rear brakes were moved outboard to allow maximum room for the ground
effects tunnels on either side of the transmission, transmissions were
redesigned to become more narrow, and I think some wide angle V-10 engines
were changed to a more narrow angle... all in search of downforce.

If I had my way, I would ban all aerodynamic devices, eliminate engine
restrictions, but make everyone  run narrow tires. Then we would see who has
the most car control skills...

Alfa content: the Alfetta type 158/159 GP cars had narrow tires.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY