Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:46:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alan Lambert <lechefgerard@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] no more than 5000 rpm????

Hello all--

I'm stumped. My GTV-6 (actually it's got a 2.5 Milano engine) will not
rev over 5000 or 5100.

I had wanted to go to the driver's school next weekend, but won't if I
can't fix the problem. So far I have;

replaced the rotor (the cap looks fine)
checked the plugs (perfect colour)
verified that the AFM flap moves freely
Swapped ECU's
Checked for no air leak after the AFM

Always, at around 5000 the car starts to sputter pop and poop

The 5100 mark can't be reached in any circumstances, but the problem is
related either to fuel or to cylinder pressure, as it will run smoothly
at low throttle in first at 5000, but will immediately start to hiss
pop poop and pout if I try to accelerate.

All brilliant ideas will be tried!

Thanks