Re: [alfa] Pros and Cons : Ebay

--- Benjamin Kaupp <bkaupp@domain.elided> wrote:

> That being said, you have just asked a worldwide
> community of Alfisti
> whether you should buy sight unseen... why not send
> one of us in to be
> your eyes and tetanus detectors? Chances are there's
> one somewhere near
> the vehicle.
>
> Having told of the evil decepticons what inhabit
> eBay, I must admit
> that I have never had a bad experience, nor have I
> ever purchased a
> vehicle on auction.

I have bought (although not yet--to my beloved wife's
chagrin--sold) a gazillion Alfa bits and pieces from
eBay, as well as a bewildering array of other non-Alfa
items (nothing more than $600).

I have yet to have any horror story to relate. I have,
however, only bid on one car. I suppose that being in
FL and bidding on a car halfway across the country
without asking anyone to perform the "remote checkout"
is an act of one of the milder sorts of madness, but I
was taken in by the very detailed description and
overflow of photographs.

That being said, my bid (well over the CPI/SCM price
for a car of that condition) fell short of the
seller's reserve. The kind gentleman who is (still)
selling the car in question is in for a very rude and
painful lesson on the basic mechanics of the matter of
supply/demand and the free and open market.

Still, I'm sure that we could all count here on the
kindness of Alfisti to be our eyes and ears (and
noses?), which is part of the point of having a far
flung cast of characters.

-Joe in SoFla