RE: [alfa] Tire dilemma

Just took my 74 in for new Dunlop A2 sport tires in 195 65 14 and before
they installed them, I told the shop that I was flexible on size with a 205
being closer to original anyway, but that I would not accept tires much over
a 6-8 months old manufacture date. Tires continue to age even if not used,
and some consider a tire worn out at 5 years even if no miles on it. They
initially said they would not sell me A2's because of poor tread life,
incorrectly assuming I wanted to put thousands of miles a year on the car. I
had to assured them I wanted the "worst" wearing tire they sell.

The shop did not correctly read the dot dates and installed tires that were
almost half "worn out", being made in late 2001 and mid 2002. They said
Dunlop overproduced back then and stopped current production until the old
ones are sold, so the best they can find is 3rd week of 2003 production
dates for the A2 Sport. Don't know if true or not, but they are switching
the tires tomorrow for Goodyear Eagle GT's made in 2004. Not my first choice
of rubber, but better than substantially used up "new" tires or the Kumhos
that were on it when I bought it; being 3 sizes too small and 5 years hard
to boot, even if looking as new.

Brands and tread compound are often more important to owners who drive
collector cars a relatively few miles over the life (age) of a tire. If
looks are the first priority in his buying decision, then he should get what
he wants. On the other hand I would fear the customer is very likely to
regret his decision if he drives few miles with some aggressive driving,
should he choose a too hard tire made for long tread wear and conservative
driving. I don't think anyone on the list can say what is right without more
background info.

Richard in OR
74 Spider
85 Spider