[alfa] Tire dilemma

Thanks, everyone for your input regarding your various opinions on white sidewalls on a '69 Alfa Spider.

I'd like to reply first to Rodney Leng. I do Not clear coat solid colors. I use only single-stage, high solids urethane. If I received a metallic car, then I would of course clear coat. I've painted dozens of wheels (silver) and of course clear coat them. You are correct color sanding is a bitch. I wait two weeks or more after painting before beginning the tedious process.

As long as we're discussing clear coat, it is not true one must use only two-stage (base / clear) red paint in CA. It was briefly true about five years ago.

I'm going to bundle up all of the on and off line emails I received regarding white sidewalls and send to the client.

I personally feel a company / individual who is trying to do high quality work has the right, in this case, what he considers to be appropriate for the car. Perhaps it is arrogant on my part, but feel the companies / individuals who "give the client what they want" end up regretting it. That was General Motors mantra for years. Probably still is.

I have to admit the tire situation bothers me more than it should. The client commented on the very dark metallic gray on his wheels. I pointed to his metallic silver spare wheel and told him this is what all of the wheels should look like. Yesterday, after pushing the car out of the shop I viewed the car at a distance for the first time with fresh paint. With the dark gray the wheels / 70 profile tires look very heavy and clumsy. I feel / hope he will be much happier with the wheel situation once they are a nice bright silver.

I've decided if he insists on having whitewalls, I will remove the tires, save them, have the wheels sandblasted, paint, then install the old tires for no charge. I'll let him switch them out once he receives the car back.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA