[alfa] AB 2683, NAC

NO ALFA CONTENT

>Two major sources of mobile produced air pollution are (1) Diesels, such
>as government owned, exempt buses and trucks!  And (2) the dumping of
>thousands of
>gallons of fuel by jet airplanes as they come into landing at runways at

> ARB member told me: "we really do
>not know what to do about airplanes"!!!

I know a Navy pilot who tells a fascinating story about an interesting
government practice....

According to the pilot, (now a Commander, I think?) each unit was allotted
a certain amount of fuel every month for flight training, practice,
operations, etc. Whenever there was a month of bad weather, his unit wasn't
able to use up all of its monthly allotment of fuel. And, if they didn't
use up all of their fuel, their allotment would automatically be cut back
regardless of the unit's true need. In order not to have the fuel allotment
reduced, if there was a day of clear weather towards the end of the month,
the unit would run "drills" where they'd "practice" tanking up all the
aircraft, taking off, reaching altitude, dumping their fuel, landing, then
doing it over again until all the month's fuel was dumped in the sky.

Don't know if this is still done, or if this was done in the State of
California or elsewhere, but I thought it was an interesting story.