Subject: [alfa] Re: Alfetta Glass - OUT DAMN SPOT!!!

Steven,
Water in my area results in severe hard water stains.  I have found a product
called Nothin's Better to be the most effective with little if any scratching.
It is a powder which you apply to a wetted soft cloth and rub with lots of
elbow grease.  I got it at a local glass shop.  I suggest doing only small
areas at a time, because it is a somewhat tiring process.  Rub into you get a
consistent squeak, a sure indication that you have removed the spotting.  I
was told the product is made from ground rice hulls.  I did a search on the
web and found that the product can be ordered from
http://www.mustangsplus.com/

I found the reason my windshield gasket was leaking after having the
windshield and gasket replaced was due to accumulated dirt etc. which
accumulated between the gasket and glass.  I believe the foreign material
worked like a wick to draw in the moisture through.  I suggest cleaning out
the channel with compressed air and denatured alcohol, and blow dry.  Then, if
you are ok with a permanent bond between glass and gasket get a tube of black
polyurethane.  3M makes a product used by auto glass installers in a caulk
tube.  Squeeze a small bead in to the channel, squeeze the gasket to
distribute the polyurethane, and then tape the gasket tight to the glass with
blue masking tape.  Wipe the excess that squeezes out with an adhesive remover
solvent before taping.  The polyurethane provides a nice professional
appearance.  You might want to try it on a test patch to see if you are happy
with the result.  Only caution is if you need replace the windshield and want
to use the same gasket, you would probably have to scrape the polyurthane away
from the windshield with a razor blade tool, and might even have to replace
the gasket if still available.
Paul Steffy
'88 Alfa Romeo Spider
Chico, CA

Steven,
Regarding number 1:  I'd try baking soda.  The stuff is an aggressive
scrubbing
agent, but soft enough to not scratch many underlying surfaces, e.g., it's
much
softer than glass.

Regarding number 2:  I'd say if you want to do anything, remove the metal trim
and try to bolster the rubber seal with silicone.  Then re-attach the trim.
The
problem with applying the sealant to the trim is that the trim is....trim, and
it would be difficult to get a good solid seal with it.  That hatchback door
is
a horrible design that invites problems/rust.  It was improved on the later
GTVs, but still not very good.

- -Ray
'84 GTV
San Diego