Re: [alfa] AB 2683, NAC

Sound like an urban legend.  As a former USAF officer
and flight crew navigator, I find the story
preposterous!  The only times that I am aware of any
aircraft dumping fuel was in the case of emergency
when the plane was too heavy to land.  There are
designated fuel dump areas and paper work to be
submitted.  That is not to say that flight time was
not allocated and had to be "used" or "loosed", but
not blatant dumping of fuel.

Tom

--- RonHorowitz <RonHorowitz@domain.elided> wrote:

> NO ALFA CONTENT
>
> >Two major sources of mobile produced air pollution
> are (1) Diesels, such
> >as government owned, exempt buses and trucks!  And
> (2) the dumping of
> >thousands of
> >gallons of fuel by jet airplanes as they come into
> landing at runways at
>
> > ARB member told me: "we really do
> >not know what to do about airplanes"!!!
>
> I know a Navy pilot who tells a fascinating story
> about an interesting
> government practice....
>
> According to the pilot, (now a Commander, I think?)
> each unit was allotted
> a certain amount of fuel every month for flight
> training, practice,
> operations, etc. Whenever there was a month of bad
> weather, his unit wasn't
> able to use up all of its monthly allotment of fuel.
> And, if they didn't
> use up all of their fuel, their allotment would
> automatically be cut back
> regardless of the unit's true need. In order not to
> have the fuel allotment
> reduced, if there was a day of clear weather towards
> the end of the month,
> the unit would run "drills" where they'd "practice"
> tanking up all the
> aircraft, taking off, reaching altitude, dumping
> their fuel, landing, then
> doing it over again until all the month's fuel was
> dumped in the sky.
>
> Don't know if this is still done, or if this was
> done in the State of
> California or elsewhere, but I thought it was an
> interesting story.
> --
> to be removed from alfa, see
> /bin/digest-subs.cgi