[alfa] [Alfa] total loss

A word of caution (from experience).

I allowed my insurance company to total a car once with the intention of buying it back.  The Insurance company filed it with the state as a "Destruction Title" rather than a "Salvage Title".   I bought the car back and discovered it was going to be impossible for me to get a title.  I ended up having to part it out and send the frame to the crusher.

Insurance companies don't want you repairing a car that they paid on, and then it burns up with you in it.  Your family sues them because they knew the car was dangerous but didn't protect against someone buying it back.

This was in Florida and each state might have a different system, in fact I can nearly gaurantee it.  I didn't want to part that car, I wanted to fix it and drive it.  The only way I could have done it would be to play musical VIN plates and you can't drive anything from jail.

Dave Miller
Deltona, Florida