[alfa] Auto Air Conditioning Info from EPA (not alfa specific)

Here is the link to EPA's page with lots of information.  There is a table
with a list of legal substitutes and some considered illegal.
EPA is (I think correctly) very concerned about mixing coolants.  So there
are DIFFERENT fittings for each legal coolant.  That way, after you sell
your car to someone and they take it to an AC shop, the shop won't
mistakenly recover your odd stuff into their R-12 or R-134a recovery tank.
IF you want to put something else in, please make up a sticker of some sort
and put it on the car so that a future owner or mechanic will know what they
are dealing with.

I converted by '86 spider to R-134a.  I pulled the compressor and condensor,
flushed the system, replaced the dryer/receiver, added a low/high pressure
cut-out switch, and put it all back together and charged it.  Works great,
good cooling.  The only other advice is that if you have a problem with an
old AC hose, ask an AC shop who makes up custom hoses for them and get a new
hose made.  I couldn't find anyone selling stock replacement AC hoses for my
'86 and a custom fit perfectly and didn't cost all that much.

Personally, I think the hydrocarbon substitutes are probably not all that
dangerous.  I went with R-134a because it is the new standard.  I can use
the same manifold hoses on the cars a retrofit and my newer cars with stock
R-134a.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/index.html

John Dohrmann

As to how something our body makes can be toxic, that is why you pee, to get
rid of toxic wastes made by your body. You poop because you put stuff in
your mouth your body doesn't want.  But urine is mainly bad stuff your body
made and needs to eliminate.