From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Gregory Youngblood
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 12:32 AM
To: 'Alfa Digest'
Subject: [alfa] Starting 74 spider after sitting..

I needed to move my spider this weekend. I already knew the battery was
dead, so I came with a charger. I charged the battery until it had a pretty
good charge. Good enough, I though.

My car has sat for too long (hangs head in shame, I know -- they need to be
*driven*) and wouldn't fire. At first I thought it wasn't getting fuel, but
then it seemed like it tried to catch, but didn't. I tried a few things,
including stepping on the gas a little, as well as WOT. It was at WOT that
it started to try and catch, which is why I think I flooded it.

I'm going to try again soon, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone had
any advice. I know I'm going to slow charge the battery for a while, to make
sure I have a real solid charge before I start. I also seem to recall
someone mentioning something about pressing the gas pedal to the floor once
or twice, and then hit the starter, and while the starter is spinning, push
down on the pedal no more than 1/4 of the way. I tried something similar
today, and it sounded like it wanted to fire up, but wouldn't catch.

Any advice?

Thanks
Greg