[alfa] Alfetta torsion bars

I have been racing my GTV6 in EP for about a season and a half, so this
is something that I have been interested in, also.

There is a discussion here about calculating torsion bar rates:

http://www.gtv6.org/discus/messages/204/1319.html?0

The bar length is (I think) for late model GTV6 and Milano.

The only problem I had was with the conversion from N/mm to lb/in; I had
to use kind of a roundabout way to arrive at 158lb/in.  There is
something here about lbs used as a force vs weight measure.

Anyway, I did the math/conversion as described above and came up with
this:

Bar diameter:                 Wheel rate:

23.5mm                        158lb/in

25.5mm                        219lb/in

27mm                           276lb/in

33mm                           616lb/in

If somebody out there sees glaring errors in my math PLEASE speak up,
since I am NOT an engineer.

Now, these figures are for solid bars, and for the 33mm bars do not take
into account the "step" area necessary to go from the 27mm spline section
to the 33mm diameter.

I have been running 33mm front bars on my E-Production GTV6 for about a
season and a half, and they REALLY make a difference in handling.  I am
experimenting with going up on front anti-sway, also.

Thanks,

Al Mitchell

www.realemotorsports.com

#82 EP GTV6