Re: [alfa] Distributor questions

I guess what I'd benifit most from, would be "tightening" the start of the curve, i.e. advancing it such that at idle,
I could be on the 5deg BTDC mark AND hit the max advance mark when I'm at max advance, rather than be 5-10 deg short like I am now. I also seem to have a lot of "jitter" in my timing mark movements.. don't know if this is actual fluttering of the timing advance, or my old timing light stuttering. Guess it shouldn't jitter no matter what.

Anyway, anyone know what would affect the minimum of the curve?

Jon

Dean W. Cains wrote:

Hi Jon:

The springs should be as you've described, and as many as I've checked, I can't recall ever seeing a set that had stretched or worn out. That's not to say it never happens, though. The best way to check what you've got is to use an advance timing light and plot the curve yourself.

If you were to modify the spring(s) as you've described, you'll end up moving the advance curve further up the rev range (likely not what you want), as stronger springs will present more resistance to the centripetal force of the advance weights. And, changing the springs will never change the amount of total advance, which is limited by whatever it is that stops the weights at the end of their travel outwards. Look at the mechanism of the Marelli, and you'll see vertical pins that limit the travel of the weights, even with the springs removed.

A mid-level upgrade might be to drop in an older Marelli S103B or BA, and a better upgrade would be to use an (even older) Bosch 041, 044, or 045. All of those are breaker-type distributors, and except for the 041 can very easily be upgraded to breakerless electronic ignition. Those Bosch units have curves very close to what the old high-performance Shankle disty's had, and may have been the models Shankle tried to match. I've got an 041 in my '74 Spider, and it's very much better than the S103BA, but was a giant PITA to make breakerless.

Many of the popular Alfa parts vendors sell upgraded systems, too. They're mostly using modified Bosch 009 disty's with either Crane or Compu-Fire electronics, and then there are the systems from Wes Ingram and Jim Steck that are crank-triggered, and probably wasted on a mostly stock street-use engine. I'd start cheap and work my way up the scale. Maybe find an S103BA, see how it feels, and then maybe upgrade it to breakerless with a Crane XR700 or XR3000 kit.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's