RE: [alfa] 74 GTV flasher unit location

> > IIRC, it should be a small plastic box, bolted on to the steering
> > column. It doesn't look like a normal flasher, which is why they
> > charge > $100 for it.  However it can be replaced with a normal $6.95
> > flasher.
>
> ah.
>
> the book at Advance cross referenced to a very generic 3
> prong thermal flasher in a cylindrical metal can, so i bought
> one, but i couldn't see anything like it under the dash. now
> i know what i won't find under there.
>
> does anyone know if a more modern electronic flasher unit
> would work, or should we stick with the ancient thermal technology?

As I said, it can be replaced with a more modern generic one.

There is only one tiny modification you need to make.

Look closely at the spade connectors on both flasher units.  They should be
marked, so you can simply move the wires to the similarly marked terminals
on the new flasher unit.  The only thing you'll find different is the
ground, on the antiquated Bosch unit there are two ground terminals, with a
separate wire going to each.  On the modern unit there is one terminal.

Simply add a small Y connector so you can connect both ground wires to the
single terminal on the new flasher, and you're all set!

HTH,

bs