[alfa] Plugs again

Running unleaded fuel the perfect plug should have a soft brown deposit. From the V6 I get soft brown tinged with sooty carbon as my Plugs are airly cool. After hard running they turn powdery brown, after lots of city driving they tend to get a little sooty looking.

Correct heat range plugs are essential to avoid burned valves, busted plugs, holed pistons, even cracked heads. Premature ignition from excessively hot plugs can be as damaging as detonation from other causes.

As for the allegations that Bosch plugs are lunching those BMW engines, I think that unlikely. More likely the engine is lunching the plugs and the bits are flying off the plugs because some dumb ass has recommended or installed the wrong plug.

Mind you, BMW does make some crappy engines, as does Mercedes Benz, and everyone says they are wonderful. The emperor has no clothes and BMW/Merc engines are no better than most quality Euro engines. Jap engines are generally unbreakable, but tend to be a trifle dull.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L