[alfa] In praise of Platinum Plugs

I have a set of Bosch Plat 4's in my 91 164L and am very pleased with them. I think they run a tad hotter than other plugs of the same recommended heat range because I used to get a stumble when opening the throttle after loafing along in traffic, now I get instant throttle response. I get no signs of pre ignition so the heat range is correct.

I have a set of NGK platinums in my 97 SAAB Aero (turbo) and they are really fantastic. I run one range hotter than the equivalent copper core plug and the throttle response and turbo boost is spectacular. The copper core plugs spec'd for this car are a tad too cold. If you go down one heat range with the copper core you get early boost cut out (knock sensor based feedback system).

I think plat plugs run cooler for a given heat range but also heat up enough to keep the electrodes clean. I think the Plat 4's have a wider effective heat range than other plugs except perhaps the Lodge.

Finally, I think the right plug for you depends as much on your driving style and expectations as it does the particular engine you have. Generally, i like to use what the manufacturer recommends, or a plug others have tried with good results. Bear in mind that what works for you might not work for another driver even in the same engine let alone your engine.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner