[alfa] Re: NEW DATA! 164LS Challenge - taming of the shrew round two

At 1:42 PM +0000 6/15/04, alfa-digest wrote:
Here's what I haven't changed:
- - Ignition coil control packs
- - Ignition coils (but since car runs perfect when running, this seems remote possibility.
- - Actually swap out AFM (air flow meter)
- - Ignition switch (though this appears fine based on other tests)
I've heard of this problem before, and never thought about it too hard. But now my parents want a 164LS or Q, so I suppose I should start thinking about things like coil-on-plug ignitions. Yikes. Without knowing what exactly the ignition control packs are responsible for, I'd say they might be responsible. I also have to wonder if a coil or coils is/are drawing too much current in certain situations. Likewise, if there's too big a voltage drop across a (failing) ignition switch, injectors, coils, coil control packs, and/or the ECU might not be seeing enough voltage to work properly. What tests have you done to conclude that the ignition switch is working fine? In the fusebox, is there a difference in voltage between an always-on circuit and an ignition-switched circuit? What's the battery voltage when the starter is cranking, within the first second of cranking, and after ~5 seconds? I've heard of this (and inexplicable stalling) happening on enough 24V cars that I'm tempted to think it might just be a stupid software glitch, but Karl Chen's recent discovery of the toasted ignition switch connector gives me hope that some of these glitches might have to do with bad ignition switches and/or associated wiring. (Karl, having resolved the fried connector, have you confirmed that that was the problem, and not just a symptom of all the current going through a failing ignition switch?)

-Joe