[alfa] cigarette lighter / speedometer???

========== original message:
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:00:13 -1000
From: "David Ross" <ross@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 89 Spider Mechanical issues
The first thing to check (on your speedo) is whether the cigar lighter
is working, as they are on the same circuit and a short (or blown fuse)
for the lighter can also stop the speedo. That done, it can be the
sender, or it can be the electronic gauge itself. There have been
discussions here about quick fixes for these gauges, often involving a
drop of solder on the rear circuit board; some fixes work, some don't.
You could send it out for repair, but some shops have trouble with the
electronic gauges (I had a nightmare experience with a well-known one in
northern CA).
- - David R.
This is an interesting question. mainly because i don't have a cigarette lighter in my '87 spider and my speedometer doesn't work. it used to have a lighter, but i removed it one day while trying to solve a low voltage issue (i removed lower dash, and started removing wires PO had added for god-only-knows reasons -- there were sevaral spliced into others that connected to nothing). since i don't smoke, and had no use for the lighter, i removed it too. i left the connection in there though. its the black 2-wire squared off one (if memory serves). can anyone see this as causing a problem? after removing the unknown wires, voltage across most of the system went up .8 to 1 volts. (it still drops a fair bit as revs increase). i also removed the inoperable clock, a/c controls, and mirror switches. i think i might still have those wirings if anyone wants them for some reason.

kyle in houston (driving the spider when in dallas -- with no speedometer or tach)