[alfa] re rear limit strap removal

Mario,

I managed to get all the screws undone on the rear limit straps on my 1750 GTV and I'm sure they hadn't been undone since the car left the factory back in 1968!

The secret to doing it is to soak the screws in penetrant for a few days/weeks(?). To do this you need to pull the wheels off the car and then try and get to the weld nuts that are hidden behind the small support panel that braces the limit strap bolt position. There will be heaps of dirt and other muck and rubbish in there which will take a while to clean out. Once done you will find the weld nuts and the ends of the screws hopefully forming a small well where you can pour the penetrant. I flooded this area with a local product we have here in Australia called "Penetrene" basically a kerosene based one, but I'm sure you have something similar where you are. I then left it for a few days and then proceeded to remove all 4 screws. Mind you I had to use the biggest screw driver I could find and put a jack under the end of it to hold it in place (+ vice grip pliers on the screw driver handle to turn it) but they all came out without any problems. Sure beats messing around with !
drills and dremels etc.

Warren Reid
Melbourne, Australia
68 1750 GTV TS