[alfa] 89 Spider Mechanical Issues

    The L Jetronic spiders can and will run just fine if done properly.  I
regularly turn my 84 L Jetronic race car to 7500 rpm.  Power runs out about
6300, but on some tracks it is faster to over rev than to upshift and immediately
shift back down.
    I will send you an article I wrote about waking up the L Jetronic.  If
anyone else wants a copy, they need to write me off line as I have not read Alfa
Digest on any regular basis for some months.
    With a 4:10 rear end your spider should run 22 mph per 1000 rpm in fifth
gear.  With a 4:56 it will be about 20 mph per 1000.
    If the rear end is howling, it was probably run with little or no gear
lube at some time.  It will never be right.  Swap it out.  Or fill it with gear
lube and learn to love the noise.  It will probably run a long time the way it
is.
    If you swap it out, keep the clutch disks from the Limited Slip.  I will
pay cash for the clutches.
    Make sure the VVT cam is advancing.  Rev it up while you look at the
space between the solenoid on the front of the passenger side cam shaft.  You
should see it trigger the VVT.  And make sure the cam timing is correct.
    Replacing the VVT with a normal camshaft is not a good idea.  The large
single butterfly Bosch does not like to idle with the intake cam advanced.  So
if you have to buy cams, get an intake cam designed for the VVT.  You can run
about any camshaft on the exhaust side.
    Tune the car up.  If properly tuned, the 89 spider should run just as
well as a 76.  It has different rear gear ratio, so downshift more often.
    And finally, get rid of the stock exhaust manifold.  Put on a header or a
74 and earlier manifold or a 90 and newer manifold.  If you can find a
Motronic head pipe with a good catalyst, then use that.  Otherwise, get a new 74
head pipe and an old worn out center muffler.  Cut off the flange at the front of
the old muffler and weld it to the 74 head pipe after you cut off the 74
resonator.  Use a bolt in catalyst from about a 1977 spider or Alfetta.  It will
bolt to the stock center section of you 89 and to the muffler flange you cut
off.  The rest of the exhaust can be stock 89 or use your imagination.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 6/7/2004 6:36:24 PM Central Daylight Time,