Re: [alfa] CarDisc Page Capture

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:08:37 -0400 John Paradiso <johnp@domain.elided> wrote:

> You're right. The new CD's images have the extension .PIC and these are the
> ones that PaintShop won't open. I've tried numerous graphics packages and
> used Google to find all  formats that use the PIC extension, no luck.
> I don't know about anybody else, but I'd re-buy the CD if they'd rescan the
> pages in better resolution and make it a PDF document.

in all probability they've done something silly like take a standard format and
pad the front of the file with extra characters or xor the beginning of the file
with extra characters. they do the trivial transformation on load and then use
stock tools to display it.

if i had time, i might look at reverse engineering it. what's scary is that i
don't have a job and i don't have time, either.

richard