[alfa] Biodiesel, you're kidding right?

What makes "biodiesel" financially viable is no road tax. In some countries the authorities have cracked down on illegal fuels (illegal because no tax paid).

Someone needs to do the input energy calculations before biodiesel is touted as the cure all for oil dependency. Those farmers (agreed they get paid for doing nothing, or less than nothing) use a lot of petrochemicals in the fuel for their machinery and for chemical fertilizer. Then you have the "refining' costs.

Then you have to drive a diesel!

Similar problems face the hybrid and the current darling of the environmentalists: the fuel cell car.

Of course, The USA could solve their energy problems overnight if they levied an appropriate tax on road fuels used for passenger cars, gasoline or diesel or biodiesel or whatever fuel. Price will drive conservation. Even at $3.00 per gallon road fuel is ridiculously cheap. Milk for our children is around $6 per gallon (we pay around CAN$2 per liter, of course there's no free market in milk either!). Even bottled water is more expensive than road fuel. And the US continues to favour manufacture and sale of gas guzzling SUV type vehicles...

The mind boggles.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L