[alfa] Indirectly Alfa-related

I bought an analog oscillscope on eBay (to troubleshoot Alfas, of course), and I'm not sure if it's working properly, but it's very different from the fancy digital 'scopes that I'm used to. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make an old-fashioned oscilloscope trace a signal on the screen. When I input a voltage it displays a dot, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it plot the voltage with respect to time.

Thanks,
Joe