[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #105

Regarding the following message from Brian Shorey,

> My objective was to point out that there are
> alternatives out there, and for similar money to a
> 308 a Bora is one of them.  I think what's under the
> hood, er, rear deck lid will look slightly more
> familiar to Alfa owners, looks like two I4's in a V
> back there (chain driven and all!).

Actually, as far as I have been able to tell,
monitoring the market for the past half-year or so, a
Bora is a notch or two above a 308 in market
price---definitely above a 308GT4.  308GT4s are
regularly offered for sale in the mid $20K for decent
examples; I have yet to see a Bora for sale for less
than $40K.  A better Maserati price analogue to a
308GT4 would be a Merak.  Certainly the Merak doesn't
have the performance of a Bora, but they cost a lot
less.

I believe someone mentioned the Road & Track
comparison between a 308GT4, a Merak, and a
Lamborghini Urraco.  The Ferrari did come out on top,
but the Merak was close and, of interest to some of
us, it had more interior space.  (A troublemaker would
also note the beautiful Merak design and suggest that
the 308GT4 compared unfavorably.)

I will now attempt to bring this wide-ranging
discussion somewhat back on topic.  I believe it
originally started comparing the Alfa Romeo Montreal
to various other similar Italian exotics.  One that I
have not heard mentioned yet which I think is at least
partly analogous is the Maserati Khamsin, another
front engined V8 coupe produced during the 70s.
Unlike Boras, I have seen Khamsins for sale in the
same price range as Montreals.  Montreals and Khamsins
are both sufficiently uncommon that I suppose it's
less likely that anyone has had first hand experience
with both...?