[alfa] RE: Car dolly

In AD10-0104 Elizabeth asked about castered dollies for moving cars around in the garage to gain space; Jeff replied, generally describing the most basic (and cheaper) type and his preferred choice, the GoJak, giving some websites but not the "official" one which he couldn't find.

Years ago I bought a set (4) of the first version I was aware of, the RollMaster, when they were first advertised in Hemmings; the current price for them is 4/$180 from the manufacturer, nmwcardolly.com, although I have seen them advertised for twice that by resellers. They are a very neat design and execution, which probably means more to me that to many others, and I still like them although I would appreciate the convenience of the GoJak.

A functionally similar, less architectonically ingenious version is the TireScate, also available directly from its manufacturer, accessiblesystems.com for 4/$145 in steel or 4/$165 in an aluminum version, presumably lighter and easier to handle. (Accessible Systems also makes and sells a body 'rotisserie', $650, and a $199 body lift for handling stripped bodies with an engine hoist.) The GoJak is $149.95 each from the manufacturer, gojaks.com, or 2/$248.40 from the site Jeff cited, sjdiscounttools.com. There is a fourth variant, no brand name I have seen, offered by Eastwood at 2/$49.99 along with GoJak at 2/$329.99 and TireSkate at 4/$149.99.

So,there are choices. I have considered getting a second set, as extracting (or replacing) the farside dollies from under a car snugged into the corner can be inconvenient. I have seen enough marginal casters fail (in other applications) to be wary of penny-pinching in such applications, moving relatively heavy loads across possibly slightly rough floors. (And TireScate makes a strong pitch about caster quality). The $300 - $350 premium for four GoJaks over four TireScates can't be ignored, but may not be decisive for a long-lived convenience. I'm very glad I have the one set I have; if I add anything it would probably be a set of the aluminum TireScates, to use with DIY-fabricated shallow ramps to allow driving onto the scates without using a jack.

Enjoy choosing,

John H.