[alfa] Re: BRM and my teen-aged heroes

At 11:19 PM +0000 5/21/04, alfa-digest wrote:
Oh, and the new Elise has a friggin' Toyota motor and trans. Ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is this such a big deal to everybody? I dislike Japanese cars as much as anybody, and sure as hell wouldn't want to see a Toyota motor in an Alfa or Ferrari, but have we forgotten that affordable Lotuses have always had mainstream engines and gearboxes, be they Rover, Ford, Renault, Isuzu, Toyota, or whatever? Didn't the Excel have a Toyota gearbox and final drive two decades ago? At least Toyota has a history of building high quality cars and even winning some rallies, something that can't be said for Isuzu, who supplied the engine for the FWD Elan. While it'd be marvelous if the $40k Elise had a Lotus engine, the US-spec Toyota unit is certainly more sophisticated than the Rover lump used in Euro-spec Elises. As someone who is indifferent to many British cars for their lack of sophistication, I won't be complaining about the 16V DOHC Toyota motor in the USA Elise.

Joe Elliott