Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 20:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@domain.elided>
Subject: Electrolytic Rust Removal Success
To: mail@domain.elided

Folks,

I have been reading about electrolytic rust conversion
in various websites.  I tried it today and it's easy.
First I degreased the battery tray from the 62 Classic
by soaking it in a 5-gal bucket of carb cleaner.
After degreasing and rinsing I suspended the battery
tray in a 5 gal bucket of water to which I had added
one tablespoon of baking soda per gallon.  I suspended
a steel bar on another wire in the same bucket,
careful to keep the tray separate from the bar.  I
connected my battery charger positive lead to the
steel bar (wire leading to the bar) and connected the
negative lead to the battery tray (directly since part
of it was out of the water).

You must use a plastic bucket.

I turned the battery charger on manual and got a
reading of 2 amps which is about normal according to
the articles I read.  I turned the battery tray after
about four hours to immerse the other end in the
solution.  This evening I removed the tray and washed
it with a scotch brite pad under running water.  The
rust (Fe2O3) had been converted to Fe which is black.
The black residue scrubs off easily.  Pitting was
present because of the missing metal but the tray is
rust free.  After drying I spritzed it briefly in my
bead blast cabinet and shot it with Rustoleum primer.

Worked for me.

Joe Fulton

Salinas ,CA

---