[alfa] spica vs weber emmisions

What has been going on with your car, Kevin, is that you have been playing
with the mixture fed by the main circuit in the carbys--which has virtually
NO effect on the emissions under the operating conditions at which the
emission test is conducted. The idle circuits are what is rich and making
passing the test a dicey affair for you.

Adding the high % of alky to fuel (you didn't mention whether you used the
isopropyl or the methyl alcohol 'Heet', although the methanol would have a
much more pronounced effect), you effectively leaned out the idle circuits,
and thus enabled the car to pass.

it will pass just fine.

The thing that would REALLY help you pass would be a fully programmable
ignition (programmable as to timing vs engine speed and load).

Greg
>--

I have worked extensively on the idle circuits.  All the jets in the car now are from a 1300 cc GT junior.  I am to lean for most conditions.  I have rebuilt the carbs that are in the car now.  I have purchased a CO anylyzer, and used it to do set up.  I think due to the combination of age of many components, I am sure that I have some small leaks on the vacume side.  Brand new carbs would help, I am sure that there are small leaks around the throttle shafts are common.  And high altitude where I live made most manuals of less value.  I had it close, the only place I was high was at CO at idle.  After gettining it as close as my skill level, and the 70s era Alfa certified mechanic in my area, I chose to oxygenate.  Worked for me.  Kevin