[alfa] Spica injector problems

Hi all..

Well, after getting over my radiator damage problem (shorten and secure your oil separator hoses!!) I proceeded on to my next problem..

I have had a few things that lead me to think I might have some uneveness in my mixture from cylinder to cylinder. I also seem to have a bit of trouble adjusting the mixture predictably when it gets as lean as it's supposed to.

All that led me to wanting to swap two injectors to see if my visual difference between the deposits moved or stayed the same. I kinda doubted it would be the injector, but hey, it's cheaper than getting the pump rebuilt. So, I pull out the two, and think, well, why not open the questionable one.. which lead to me opening both of the two I pulled, which led to me pulling the other two to check, clean with brake cleaner, etc.. (yes, sometimes I go too far)

Anyway, I was hoping that the rubber o-ring seal was not going to have a problem after being unsealed after 27 years.... and I did notice a lack of any tension as I put them back together.. I was wondering if taking them apart was a bad idea.

So, two Murphy strikes follow.. Big one, as I tighten them back in, #3 has the sickening lack of tightening up that says "threads stripped"... (what is it with me and aluminum threads on this car????)
I had promised the wife a ride that evening, it was fairly snug, and with the fuel hose clamped as it is I didn't think it would go anywhere for 10 odd miles of driving around town. So out we go, but the car was tough to start.. idled very rough, but ran better but not great. Lots of backfiring. Were my fears correct about opening the injectors? My adventure with my radiator holes was suspect, but after getting it soldered up and driving it back home, I didn't notice any unusual running.. only after my injector massaging. So I don't think I have some warped head overheating problems affecting things.

Luckily I have another intake manifold, and my new mechanic friend has a box of injectors he's willing to let me try out..
Anyone ever have to Helicoil a injector site on a Spica intake manifold?

Another related question, I see numbers on the injectors.. and reading the Spica mantinence manual (from IAP) I see that when one gets a pump back from the factory, which apparentlly came with a set of injectors, one "was to match the number of the injector to place" for cylinder. Does this matter? I just picked out a group that looked about the same at the nozzle end.

Jon
77 Spider
Irvine, CA