RE: [alfa] Spica injector problems

Jon -

To answer some of your questions ...

Yes, I have had to heli-coil the injector hole in the intake manifold
before. The good news is it is the same size as a spark plug thread, the bad
news is there is very little room and material in the area to work with. I
don't think you can use any of the solid spark plug inserts, rather you have
to go for the original heli-coil spring type inserts. You also have to cut
it down to something like only three or four coils as the hole is not very
deep.

Don't know if you could do the repair with the manifold on the engine or
not, on the one I had to do the head was off and apart anyway.

As for the injectors, my understanding is that they very seldom fail or
cause problems. This seems to be Wes Ingram's opinion as well as I have
spoken to him about this. I've always been told that you should not take
them apart, and have never tried so you are on your own here.

Yes originally the injectors were matched to the pump. Wes will supply a set
of matched injectors with a rebuilt pump if you ask him to as well.
Generally though, this too will not make much difference. Especially on an
engine with an older well used injection pump.

If you are having trouble with getting the mixture set correctly on the
injection, and everything else is alright (ie all the linkages and reference
gap are set correctly, and there is nothing broken inside the pump such as
the rack return spring), it is possible that the rack in the pump is gummed
up and sticking.

If you feel like spending the time to mess with it, remove the pump from the
engine, remove all the inspection covers, the drain plug from the logic
section and soak it in a tub of kerosene overnight. Put it back in and see
if it works any better.

If not, you are out a gallon or two of kerosene and several hours of your
time. If it does work you've saved yourself the expense of a rebuilt pump.

YMMV,

Jeff